Brouhaha International has been developing and delivering arts outreach projects in diverse community contexts for many years. Through these projects we have been able to bring together young people who would not normally share the same space and working in cross community contexts using the arts to explore a range of issues. It is within this wider programme of work that the young people involved in the Cultural Ambassadors group would like to develop their project. A core group of young people from Liverpool’s culturally diverse communities developed project coordination and arts delivery skills through non-formal training, and peer group sessions. The group then worked alongside Brouhaha International’s delivery team to implement a number of community arts projects involving children, young people, families from:
- Low income neighbourhoods.
- Black or racial minority groups.
- Refugees and asylum seekers groups.
- Community voluntary sector organisations
- Social housing trusts and local residents associations.
Once our ‘Cultural Ambassadors’ developed their management and delivery skills they implemented their own projects within their communities working with hard to reach groups developing new performance work that was presented to youth and community audiences across Liverpool.
The project involved the following:
- Project research, planning and preparation.
- Developing new professional skills through workshop sessions.
- Preparation and co-ordination of community arts projects.
- Delivery of a community arts projects and international youth arts meetings.
- Preparation and co-ordination of Liverpool International Carnival.
- Delivery of Liverpool International Carnival.
- Preparation and co-ordination of an international arts development conference.
- Delivery of an international arts development conference.
- Preparation and co-ordination of projects within Liverpool’s Black History Month.
- Delivery of projects within Liverpool’s Black History Month.
- Evaluation of the project and writing of final report.
- Involvement in follow up activities relating to the project.